Wednesday, May 6, 2015

hooray for warmer weather! finally!

This was a rough winter. I did a total of THREE outdoor rides all winter.  And [mostly] not because I was lazy.  Many of them were simply canceled for shitty weather.  Seriously, it seemed like every. single. weekend. there was rain.. or ice.. or snow.. or some combination of all of that.  Yuck, yuck, yuck!  It was cold and rainy for the Lucky Leprechaun 5K on St. Patrick's Day.  It even snowed on the first day of spring!
March 20, first day of Spring.
But then April arrived, and it was warm enough to wear shorts for the Charlottesville 8K, and it only got better from there.  Good thing since Ironman training officially started on April 6!! I traveled a lot in April, to the Vegas desert and to the Florida rainforest (kinda...that's how it felt), but got to enjoy some of springtime in DC.
40 mile ride on W&OD trail
I love being outside, and not all bundled up and freezing!  I did not make it to any of the midweek team rides (got them done on my trainer), so that will be a goal for next month.  I did however, get in my first two long(ish) rides of the year!
Look how green the lake is now - where I do my mid-week runs!
Running is so much easier when I can come home and throw on some shorts and not have to consider the treadmill!  It definitely makes it easier to get outside!  The numbers are starting to build...
April by the numbers.  This is only going to grow!
Oh and for the foot update that I know everyone is sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for... no stress fracture!  The MRI revealed a stress reaction... yeah, I don't really know what that means either.
Dr. Lutta showed me the areas of fluid in my foot that he believes is causing the pain, and wonders if perhaps a Vitamin D deficiency is to blame.  Interesting considering how much time I spend out in the sun!  I won't go back to see him until early June, so until then I'll be icing and I guess eating more vitamins?  The good news is I can't damage it any more by running on it.
Then May started out with a great training ride in beautiful Frederick, MD.  It was a team ride, but I did it mostly by myself, which I am fine with.  For this ride, I didn't take any unscheduled rests (there was one rest stop built in), and didn't have to walk or break on any of the hills.  It was my longest ride to date and I was consistent the whole way.  I'm starting to feel good about my training.
Now let's just hope it doesn't get too hot too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment