Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Mother's Day 4-Miler

Sarah and I bought a race package through =PR= running this year, and this is one of the races we decided to do as part of that.  I had mixed feelings as my schedule started filling up.  The two sunday prior were the North Face 10K and the Nanticoke River Swim, the weekend after is swim camp, and then the next 2 weekends are another open water practice race and the bay swim.  That's literally every single Sunday booked for awhile.  But, we had already signed up for this and I'd already bailed on the St. Patrick's Day 5K we were supposed to do, so I sucked it up.
I arrived at the park pretty early and got a good parking spot, or so I thought.  It was a half mile walk to the start line area to grab my bib number and t-shirt, a half mile walk back to the car to drop off the shirt and text Sarah, and then another half mile walk back to the start area.  Geez!
I'd told Sarah that I'd meet her and Dave at the 12-13 min/mile pace sign that they'd set up.  Interesting that it was the slowest category they had??  Sarah and Dave arrived and after a potty stop and a "before" picture, we were ready to go.  It didn't seem like a large event, but given that it was a mother's day targeted race, I expected that there would be slower folks, including all the kids and strollers (ugh.. I hate stroller races!).
We started and Sarah immediately moved up to stick with the faster runners.  Dave and I were together for a hot second before all the strollers started weaving in and out and we got separated.  I knew that the first half mile or so was a long uphill.  I was jogging and considered walking the hill, but somehow - not sure why - I decided to keep jogging.  I made it up the hill and turned the corner and soon was at the first mile marker.  Wow, I'd run a whole mile!  It's been awhile since I've done that.

I kept on jogging, albeit slowly, but jogging.  I wasn't sure how long I would keep that up and didn't eliminate the possibility of walking in my mind.  I made my way to the second mile marker and soon after the only water stop on the course.  I did stop and walk to grab my cup and drink the water, but got right back into my jog.  I still wasn't sure how far I'd jog or even if that was my goal, but I stayed with it.
When I got to the 3rd mile marker without taking a walk break (other than the water stop), I decided I wanted to see if I could make it the whole 4 miles.  I mean it was only one more mile now!  Of course, no sooner did I create this goal for myself than we rounded a corner and there was another long uphill.  I wasn't prepared to give up though so I plugged along and the reward for making it up that hill was the final downhill stretch back to the park. 

Towards the bottom of the hill, I heard a pidder padder coming up behind me and a second later, Dave appeared.  Just 0.15 miles to go, although that final stretch was another uphill.  I wasn't about to start walking now so I chugged along and crossed the finish line where Sarah was waiting for us.  I was so proud of myself - 4 miles without a walk break?!  I can't even remember the last time I did that!
We grabbed some water, took our "after" photo, and headed to brunch.  Not a bad way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment