Tuesday, May 2, 2017

preparing for the bay swim

By the time I actually got into the bay swim in the 4th (and final) round of the lottery, I was already 4 weeks into the training plan.  The plan called for 4500 that week but I could barely swim 3000 (hadn't really been in a pool for about a year, and not consistently since ironman training).  I made myself a modified plan that gave me a build up to the mileage, still making sure I got in 3 workouts of 7000 before the event.  So far, I've only missed one!
Literally, the idea of swimming more than 3000 yards during a single swim workout has been mind-blowing.  The monotony of swimming back and forth, back and forth, back and forth... it would make anybody want to scream in absolute boredom!

That's my brother and JJ in the top, and Seamus on the bottom.. no photo op with my SIL, Jessi
I did my longest workout ever of 5000 yards before driving down to the outer banks to hang out with my brother and his family for the weekend.  I was so freaking proud of myself. I mean, FIVE THOUSAND YARDS!!!
Me, Paula, Cindy, Joann and Anjelika.. one of the few shots of all 5 of us!
Then I headed down to Fort Lauderdale for a girls trip and let's be honest.  It's amazing that I even made it to the pool.  This is the one that I missed, but I did get in a decent workout, swimming long course at the swimming hall of fame. 
And then I did 6000.  I did it twice.  And then once more. 
And then this happened.  7000 yards.  LONGEST. SWIM. EVER. It really sucked, mostly mind-numbing swimming back and forth for that long.  Holy goggle eyes!!  It's a little daunting to think I have to swim this distance in the pool two more times before the bay swim.....
I did my first practice open water swim of the season this past weekend down in Luray.  First time in a wetsuit since October 2015, and wow was that a struggle!!  I'm not sure what happened the first loop (course set up in 150m loops) - my goggles were leaking, I was uncomfortable in my wetsuit, I couldn't get my breath to even out. I stopped and switched goggles, adjusted the wetsuit, and was fine after that....but slow!  Makes me a little nervous.

There are 3 more open water swims on my calendar leading up to the big day.  3 miles in a river that is similar the Choptank (think Eagleman.. Ironman Maryland) just a bit past Cambridge in Salisbury on the eastern shore.  Then there is another 3 miles in Reston over Memorial Day weekend, broken up into 2 events, a 1mi and then a 2mi swim back to back.  Finally, the week before the Bay Swim, I'll be swimming across the Potomac for one more practice.  Oh and I signed up for a 3 day swim camp in North Carolina later this month - so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment