Saturday, July 17, 2021

The Aftermath

 Sunday, June 27:

I woke up and started to assess the situation.  Bruises were starting to form pretty much everywhere.  Joann showed up pretty early with donuts and a ton of medical supplies.  We started cleaning out all of the wounds - there were a LOT.  I feel like I'm mostly covered in bandages.

Linda and Chris (recovering from his own bike crash a month earlier) from Team Z came over that evening and brought food and treats - so nice!!


Monday, June 28:

My discharge instructions told me to visit my primary doctor as a follow up, and while Dr. Lee was not in the office, one of his associates was able to see me same day.  No new information.  I am to clean out all of my wounds several times per day.  What a tedious and obnoxious process, and I was going through so many medical supplies.  Bruising looked pretty bad.

Travis and Jasmine came over with a bunch of food that my office had brought in for what should have been a "good luck at Mussleman tri" potluck for me.  Nice to hang out with them for a few hours.

Tuesday, June 29:

Last year, while I was goofing around with my nephew, I managed to hurt my knee.  I'd had several ortho doctors check me out (mostly because I didn't care for the diagnosis of osteonecrosis; an incidental finding), and the one I really liked asked me to come back for a 6-month follow-up.  Unfortunately, that doctor had left the practice, and I'd been meaning to cancel the appointment, but hadn't... I decided to keep it and get my bones checked out.  What a quack - as soon as this new doctor saw all my bandages and heard the word "accident" he saw dollar signs.  He didn't listen to anything I had to say, didn't examine me at all. He asked to see the road rash... huh?  I'm asking about my hip, knee and leg... what an awful, awful experience.

Then, since I had a bruise on the side of my face, I visited my dentist to make sure there was no damage. Sure enough, one of my crowns was loose and he had to fix it.

So sick of doctors.

That night, I noticed a rash starting to form on my back and right hip.  I texted Joann, thinking it must be an infection.  I survived the Ford Explorer but mersa was gonna take me out.  She told me to watch it for a day or so, and we'd reassess later.  Fine...

Left hip was the point of impact.  If you look close you can see the imprint of the SUV's grill.

Wednesday, June 30:

Rest day, finally!  Except not so much rest as starting to collect all of the initial documentation the lawyer is requesting.  It took the whole day.  I was at the computer all the way up until Travis and Brandon showed up with Thai food for dinner.  Exhausted!!

Friday, July 2:

OK, yea, so remember that rash I had noticed?  Now it was perfectly obvious to me, I was dying of mersa.  Of course I waited until 9pm to decide this, but I promptly drove myself to urgent care.  I explained my situation, and he took a look.... "Well this isn't mersa.  It looks to me like poison ivy."  And suddenly I had flashes of memory of all the paramedics and passers-by on the side of the road talking about me lying in a bunch of poison ivy.  D'oh!

The doctor also took the opportunity to check out the rest of my wounds.  Turns out the puncture on my leg is severely infected.  He sent me home with a round of fairly strong antibiotics, special ointment, and firm instructions not to participate in Musselman in any fashion (it had crossed my mind to do the swim).

Trust me, this is the PG version of the poison ivy... No pics from when it got really bad!

Tuesday, July 5:

Return to work with my seat cushion since my hip was still not interested in being seated.  

The poison ivy patches were looking pretty ugly, and I was all bandaged up (and re-bandaged several times thanks to Jason and Travis).  You could say I was a walking hot mess.  

Thursday, July 7:

New ortho!  Joann referred me to her ortho surgeon who took a much closer look at my knee.... and in the process, discovered a hematoma on the outside of my leg.  More meds and a scheduled PRP injection - highly recommend over cortisone!


Hematoma on my leg - didn't even know that was a thing!

Friday, July 9 - Wednesday, July 

Road trip!  Dan picked me up from the office and we started the drive to New York.  Even though I wasn't racing, we were still making the journey to Musselman.  Met up with Mere and Andre and checked in with Team Z.  We were about to walk less than 1/4 mile to get to ~mile 50 of the bike course, so easy to cheer.  Otherwise, it was exactly the relaxing weekend with friends that I needed.


Lots more follow-up visits and knee injection and all the legal stuff was still lingering, but life was going to start looking more normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment