Thursday, May 8, 2014

re-re-re-re-starting

Every few months I find myself saying "this it is, I'm going to buckle down and become ____" ---  fill in the blank with just about anything you can think of... faster, thinner, healthier, a runner, a cyclist.... 

Let's talk about what happened yesterday...
  • bacon, egg & cheese croissant sandwich.... as if I didn't know I was going out for a big lunch.
  • Sakura Japanese Steak House for my farewell luncheon.  My choice of location.  Yes please, I'll have the fried rice... and a sushi roll... maybe some steak... ooh, look at all that butter and oil you are using, I should eat every. last. bite.  (and I did)
  • I come home from work feeling guilty about lunch and put on my running clothes to go out for a walk but quickly change my mind and change into my pajamas... and proceeded to eat the 3 slices of left over pizza from the night before as an afternoon SNACK!!  I mean, it's thin crust, so it can't be that bad, right?!!  Wrong.
  • Meatball Parmigiana sandwich from Paisanos for dinner.  With fries.  Jon suggested ordering in dinner, and who am I to argue?!  At this point, the day was a wash, so why not just pile it on.... [I think Jon suggested this.. my next-day memory says that Jon suggested this, but quite frankly, it could've been me?]
  • Feeling gross, I go upstairs to prepare my swim stuff and get into bed... until Jon comes and suggests that we go out to Sweet Frog.  Need I say more????  [again, full disclosure: I originally suggested Sweet Frog to Jon, but my idea included WALKING there and back... Jon vetoed that quickly, and I was ready to give up on the treat until he brought it up again later]
  • My alarm goes off at 4:30 this morning and needless to say I am not feeling well.... skipping swimming.
I'm calling yesterday rock bottom.

So here I am again at the oh-so-familiar starting block.

Once again, I am here, vowing to myself never again.   Realistically, I know there will be bad days, maybe even days as bad as yesterday (though I hope not!).  I also know that if I ever want to become an ironman, I need to get this under control... more good days than bad days.  It might be time that I enlist the help of a nutritionist?

But wait.. let's not get too negative too quickly.  Yes, nutrition is a big fat fail, and I need to work on that, but since joining Team Z in March, look at my workout volume:
The sports minutes is anything from hiking or walking to yoga and physical therapy

Then compare that to my all-of-2013 numbers (tri-sports only):
In only 4 months, I'm already over half, and way more balanced!
I am heading in the right direction, no doubt.  I have been getting my butt up at 4:30 pretty consistently to make it to swim workouts (except for this morning of course)... I even got new fins for those dreaded kick sets:
 
So, the conclusion here:  yesterday was a nutrition disaster.  It's documented.  Today is a new day.  Onwards and upwards!!

No comments:

Post a Comment